Thursday, December 26, 2013

Discovering the Treasure of a Godly Woman Chapters 2-4

While I was away in England I was able to focus on getting 3 chapters done in the Study I am doing- Discovering the Treasures of a Godly Woman.  Finding the time to type it on my blog seems to be a challenge, however, today seems to be quiet so I am going to take a break at work (which I barely get to do) and blog these 3 chapters.

Chapter 2-

Read Proverbs 31:1-9

The words of king Lemuel, the prophecy that his mother taught him.
What, my son? and what, the son of my womb? and what, the son of my vows?
Give not thy strength unto women, nor thy ways to that which destroyeth kings.
It is not for kings, O Lemuel, it is not for kings to drink wine; nor for princes strong drink:
Lest they drink, and forget the law, and pervert the judgment of any of the afflicted.
Give strong drink unto him that is ready to perish, and wine unto those that be of heavy hearts.
Let him drink, and forget his poverty, and remember his misery no more.
Open thy mouth for the dumb in the cause of all such as are appointed to destruction.
Open thy mouth, judge righteously, and plead the cause of the poor and needy.

The mother of Lemuel taught his son Godly lessons:
1.  Kings are NOT to drink wine- avoid all drink so that you do not get drunk and forget the law- alcohol does alter your judgement.
2.  To Judge righteously- be of sound mind.
3.  Open thy mouth for the dumb
4.  Plead the cause for the needy and poor
5.  Give strong drink for him that is ready to perish and wine unto those that be of heavy hearts

 Chapter 3-

A Godly Woman is Priceless-

Who can find a virtuous woman?  for her price is far above rubies.

Virtuous or excellent is found over 20 times in the Bible- it is referred to a force- to mean able , capable, mighty, strong, valiant, powerful, efficient, wealthy and worthy.

Primary meaning involved military strength. It was spoken regarding Men.

Exodus 18:25 And Moses chose able men out of all Israel, and made them heads over the people, rulers of thousands, rulers of hundreds, rulers of fifties, and rulers of tens.
Joshua 1:14 Your wives, your little ones, and your cattle, shall remain in the land which Moses gave you on this side Jordan; but ye shall pass before your brethren armed, all the mighty men of valour, and help them;
Joshua 6:2-3   And the Lord said unto Joshua, See, I have given into thine hand Jericho, and the king thereof, and the mighty men of valour. And ye shall compass the city, all ye men of war, and go round about the city once. Thus shalt thou do six days.
Ruth 2:1 And Naomi had a kinsman of her husband's, a mighty man of wealth, of the family of Elimelech; and his name was Boaz.
1 Samuel 9:1 Now there was a man of Benjamin, whose name was Kish, the son of Abiel, the son of Zeror, the son of Bechorath, the son of Aphiah, a Benjamite, a mighty man of power.
I Chronicles 12:25 Of the children of Simeon, mighty men of valour for the war, seven thousand and one hundred.

Virtuous or Excellent is used ONLY 4 times to describe women.

Ruth 3:11 And now, my daughter, fear not; I will do to thee all that thou requirest: for all the city of my people doth know that thou art a virtuous woman

What was Ruth's character?
Loyal- In Ruth 1:16-18 and in Ruth 2:11 She is LOYAL to her mother in law.
Hard Worker- In Ruth 2:2, 17 & 23 she is described as a hard worker.

How is an excellent woman described?  Proverbs 31:10 says "Who can find a virtuous woman? for her price is far above rubies."- A excellent or virtuous woman is a HIDDEN TREASURE- hard to find and worth more than rubies.
In Proverbs 12:4 it says "A virtuous woman is a crown to her husband: but she that maketh ashamed is as rottenness in his bones." and Proverbs 18:22 says "Whoso findeth a wife findeth a good thing, and obtaineth favour of the Lord." 

Last- Proverbs 19:14 says "House and riches are the inheritance of fathers: and a prudent wife is from the Lord."

Am I an excellent or virtuous wife... Am I a crown for my husband?

Chapter 4-

Proverbs 31:11- The heart of her husband doth safely trust in her, so that he shall have no need of spoil.

1. The Heart.  Her husband has FULL confidence in his wife.

Proverbs 12:4- if a wife shames her husband she is rottenness to his bones.
Proverbs 19:13- a contentious (tending to argument or strife) woman is like a constant dripping.
Proverbs 21:9 & 19- It is better for a man to be alone than with a woman that is quarrelsome
Proverbs 27:15- A contentious wife and a continual dripping are alike.

2. The Trust.

Proverbs 3:5- warns against leaning on your own understanding
Proverbs 11:28- warns against trusting on wealth
Proverbs 28:26- warns against trusting in our own heart

so.... what should we do instead?

Proverbs 3:5 says to Trust in the Lord with all your heart
Proverbs 16:20  says he that trusts in the Lord is happy
Proverbs 28:25 says to look to the Lord to prosper
Proverbs 29:25 says to trust in the Lord and we will be safe

3.  The wife guards the reputation of her husband.

How does she better his life as shown in Proverbs 31:11?  She guards his reputation so that he has not need of spoil.

and in verse 12? She will do him GOOD not evil

And what is his reputation according to verse 23? He is known at the gates- known for his good.. not bad...

4.  Her Contribution

She guards his reputation so that he can prosper.


Things to ponder from these past chapters:
1.  Am I an excellent or virtuous woman?
2.  Am I a priceless gem to my husband?
3.  Am I loyal to my husband?
4.  Does my husband have FULL confidence in me.
5.. Do I guard my husbands reputation?

Dear Heavenly Father,
Help me to be an excellent or virtuous woman.  I know how short I fall.
Help me to be the kind of wife that my husband finds priceless.
Help me to uphold Paul's reputation in ALL aspects of his life so that he have FULL confidence in me.
Thank you  for blessing me with a Godly husband.
Thank you for being patient with me as I learn from your word how to be a Godly Wife.
Help me to apply what I have learned this far!
In Jesus Name I pray.
Amen.


No comments: